This volume contains the papers presented at the Eleventh Korea/Britain Conference which was held at the University of Sheffield in 1999. The papers have been edited and revised but each represents the author's views as presented at the Conference.
The purpose of the conference is to enable British and Korean scholars from a variety of social science disciplines to meet to discuss matters of mutual interest and particularly matters which affect the Korean economy. As the Korean economy and East Asia in general recover from the crisis of the late 1990s and move into a new millennium it seemed appropriate to review some key areas of change in Korea and to consider what might be appropriate policies for the future.
- Jung-Hoon Lee, "Multilateralism vs. Bilateralism: Security Options in East Asia"
- Myungsoon Shin, "Change and Continuity of Parliamentary Politics in Democratizing Korea"
- Yeon-ho Lee, "The Kim Dae-jung Government's Economic Reform and Limitations in the Rise of the Neo-Liberal State in Korea: South Korea after the Asian Financial Crisis"
- Angela Anagnostou & David Chappell, "The Time Series Behaviour of some South East Asian Exchange Rates following the Financial Crisis of 1997-1998"
- Dan Hemmings, "Immunisation and Duration of Portfolios in UK and Korea
- Seung-ham Yang & Sunghack Lim, "The Role of Government in Industrial Relations in South Korea: The Case of the Tripartite (Labour-Management-Government) Committee"
- Youngok Kang & Roy Wilkinson, "Workplace Industrial Relations in Korea for the 21st Century"
- Josephine Maltby and Roy Wilkinson, "UK Education and Corporate Governance: the Experience of UK Universities after 1985"
- Angela Anagnostou - Department of Economics, University of Sheffield
- David Chappell - Department of Economics, University of Sheffield
- Dan Hemmings - Sheffield University Management School
- Youngok Kang - School of East Asian Studies, University of Sheffield
- Jung-Hoon Lee - Graduate School of International Studies, Yonsei University
- Yeon-ho Lee - Institute of East and West Studies, Yonsei University
- Sunghack Lim - Centre for International Studies, Yonsei University
- Josephine Maltby - Sheffield University Management School
- Chang-Young Park - Sheffield University Management School
- Myungsoon Shin - Department of Political Science, Yonsei University
- Jill Solomon - Cardiff Business School, University of Cardiff
- Roy Wilkinson - Department of Economics, University of Sheffield
- Seung-ham Yang - Department of Political Science, Yonsei University